11/3 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for dusting
1 stick butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs, beaten
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 tablespoons coffee extract or flavouring
1/4 cup buttermilk
1 cup confectioners’ sugar
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1-2 teaspoons water
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Throughly grease four 1-cup bundt pans, then dust each with a little flour, tipping out any excess.
- Put the butter and sugar into a bowl and beat together until pale and creamy. Gradually beat in the eggs.
- Sift together the flour and baking powder in a separate bowl, then fold half the flour into the butter-and-sugar mixture. Fold in the coffee and chicory essence and buttermilk, followed by the remaining flour.
- Divide the batter among the prepared pans. Place on a baking sheet and bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, or until risen and firm to the touch. Cool in the pans for 5 minutes, then invert onto a wire rack and let cool completely.
- To make the icing, sift the sugar into a bowl and stir in the maple syrup and water and mix until smooth. Drizzle the icing over the cakes and let set.