oil or melted butter, for greasing (if using)
2 tablespoons boiling water
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
pinch of salt
1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup milk
6 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
1/3 cup coffee liqueur
1/4 cup raw sugar
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Grease a 12 cup muffin pan or line with 12 muffin cups. Put the coffee granules and boiling water in a cup and stir until dissolved. Let cool.
- Meanwhile, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt into a large bowl. Stir in the brown sugar.
- Lightly beat the eggs in a large bowl, then beat in the milk, butter, dissolved coffee, and coffee liqueur. Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients. Stir gently until just combined; do not overmix.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin cups. Sprinkle the raw sugar over the tops of the muffins. Bake in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes, until well risen, golden brown, and firm to the touch.
- Let the muffins cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then serve warm or transfer to a wire rack and let cool.